We believe people in developing countries know the social, economic and environmental goals they want to achieve.
For almost 70 years, AVI has brought the right people together to share skills and knowledge, building locally-driven capacity where it’s needed most – in people, organisations and systems.
Because we support the development process, not drive it, we know the change is truly fit for purpose and sustainable.
Interpersonal relationships are central to our approach. That’s why we invest in long term partnerships with a range of businesses, governments and non-profit organisations.
These partnerships flourish into rewarding, cross-sector exchanges where learnings flow both ways, resulting in collaboration across cultures and a more informed and understanding Australian community.
AVI is committed to:
- Change that is locally owned and led
- Inspiring, engaging and connecting people around the world
- Strengthening capacity through sharing expertise and knowledge
- Building relationships of mutual respect and trust
- Evidence-based practice and outcomes reporting
- Supporting, not driving the development process
- Respect for human rights and a strengths-based culturally appropriate and inclusive approach
- Volunteering for development and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Equity and social justice
- Diversity and inclusion
AVI is united in its vision for a peaceful, just and sustainable world where every organisation has the skills, knowledge and resources necessary to achieve their social, economic and environmental development goals and Australia’s multi-cultural community is informed, tolerant and cohesive.
We are committed to the inclusion and representation of those who are vulnerable and those who are affected by the intersecting drivers of marginalisation and exclusion.
AVI believes human rights are for everyone, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, indigeneity, disability, age, displacement, caste, gender, gender identity, sexuality, sexual orientation, poverty, class or socio-economic status.